Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Baptism and off to the Azores Islands! Compilation of Updates.


Hey everyone! This week has been crazy and a lot has happened! First I just want to say that this last week was truly miracle after miracle and one of my favorite weeks! My companion and I started off the week with no success, none! We really wanted at least one more baptism by the end of the transfer to meet our goal but just didn't know how it would be possible to find someone that quick. We were a little discouraged again and had no idea what to do. All of a sudden we got a call from Helena (our most recent covert from last week) and she said she had someone she wanted us to meet. So we headed over to our chapel to meet this person, and it turned out to be her son. He had already been taught by missionaries in the past and had been to church but said he really wasn't interested. All of this changed when we started teaching and when the spirit took over and really started testifying to him during the lesson. At the end of the week he asked what he had to do to be baptized. So this past week we have helped him quit smoking and he asked me to baptize him. So on Saturday at 7:30 p.m., the day before Easter, Augusto was baptized. One thing I won't forget as we were walking out of the font, he completely stopped and looked up at me with tears in his eyes and said, "I'm clean." It pierced my heart when he said this. We sat there for a few moments and just hugged. It really opened my eyes to know how powerful and how important baptism and salvation is. I'm so grateful to see the Lord's hand in this. It was the biggest blessing and it it filled me with joy to see him like that. It was truly an amazing day for him and his mom. They sat and hugged each other when we were done. The next day his mom and him were confirmed members. This is the best part about missions; seeing these kinds of miracles. 


Now for some other news! I have been in this area now for 5 months so I thought for sure I was leaving and it turns out I was right. My companion and I are both getting "white washed" which means we are both leaving the area. He will go to Evora and for me....well, I'm going to the AZORES! I don't really know what to think right now. I actually have to leave and catch a plane so I'll have to write you more later! The gospel is true and missions are amazing! I love you all and hope you all have a great week! 

COM AMOR,

Elder Thomas (AƇORES bound)

Next Update: (Brock was able to write a little the next day because he had to fly out on P-day) 

So as of right now I'm in the AZORES! A lot has happened since yesterday! It's so amazing and I'm loving it here! I feel like I'm in another world. My companion is really cool and he's the first person I've been around that is my age. Our house is close to the beach and it seriously feels like a beach house. It's small but I love it because I feel like I'm living in a hut in Hawaii or something. The language here is completely different so this will be a big adjustment! People who speak Portuguese can't even understand the people here. 

Facebook Mission Page 

Brock's mission has a Facebook page so I can get information on there and ask questions and talk to other parents which is great! I don't know what island Brock is on until he writes me next P-day but here is what I've learned about the islands: 

Out of the 9 islands, they usually stay on one and will travel/fly to another just for zone conference. All the parents agreed and said the language is very different there. Portugal Portuguese has a french influence which is different than Brazilian Portuguese but on the islands there is even more of a french influence. The ethnic and religious demographics of the islands are different from Portugal. Many of the people who originally lived in Portugal emigrated to other european countries and Portugal now has many immigrants from other countries including a large African, Brazilian, Ukrainian, and Romani (gypsies) population. The Azores were inhabited by the Portuguese people whose descendants have more so remained there. They also had Flemish settlers (French/Dutch) and why the stronger french influence. They are also very staunch Catholic so the work there is harder. 

Here are some pictures from he baptism:







No comments:

Post a Comment