Thursday, April 28, 2016

Life on the Azores and 2 Baptisms: Weeks 4/4, 4/11, 4/18, 4/25

4/25/2016

This week has been ALOT of walking and tracting. We have a lot of areas we haven't been to and we we wanted to find new people but the only problem is how far away they are and my comps bike broke so yeah.....feet are pretty sore! It's all good though! We have actually found 2 people who will be getting baptized hopefully on May 8th. One is a girl who has been talking to the missionaries for 18 years haha, and the other is a polly guy from Brazil. We're really excited and hoping we can make it to the end with them. Everything has been pretty good here. We went on a big jungle hike today and saw a lot more of the island. We're running pretty low on food cause of how expensive things are here and plus every zone or district meeting we have to take a bus and the bus rides cost a lot so a lot of our money goes there haha but no worries, me and my comp have gotten pretty good at making sandwiches and plain spaghetti!!:) haha I dont have much time to write today because we have some appointments to get to but just wanted to let you all know that I miss ya. Have a great week. The Gospel Is True and Missions Are Life Changers!

Elder Thomas




4/18/2016

Hey guys, 

I dont have much time to write today cause our P-Day got shortened but everything is good out here in the jungle! :) Been working hard and finding a lot of new people and have some marked for baptism this upcoming week. Food is great, especially the pizza here! I'm going through a couple of shirts a day because of how much it rains! I also almost got bit by a dog! The accent here is still pretty hard to understand but it's coming. Pretty soon I'll be talking like an Azorian. I hit 6 months and burned a tie. Actually mine blew up haha long story but I had to use one of my comps....good guy! haha We are sticking with our faith out here and searching for those who will accept the truth. I also turned 19, almost forgot when that day came but just a BIG shout out to my friends and family who were a huge support and an even BIGGER shout out to Lexi Roberts for making the best present anyone could ask for. I love and miss you all and I hope you have the best week. CONTINUE ON THE PATH peeps. 

COM AMOR,
Elder Thomas




4/11/2016

Hey guys, 

So this week it was a little hard to do the work because I had to fly to Lisbon for a couple days and stay there to do some stuff for residency and then after I got flown in the middle of the night to Sao Miguel, another island, for zone conference. It felt so awkward being alone on every flight and in every airport because for the last 6 months I've always had a companion with me. It was also hard at times not to get homesick but McDonalds took those thoughts away! Thank you McDonalds, I'm lovin it! Going back to my island was a little crazy because the plane I was flying in felt like it was just about to fall apart mid-air. I could have sworn I even saw some parts of the plane duck taped. haha When I got back my comp and I worked hard and the Lord seriously poured out another miracle upon us. Ana Beatriz was a girl we marked last week for baptism and because I knew I was going to leave we felt horrible because she would somehow have to progress and prepare for baptism by herself so we left some reading assignments and some other things to try and help her. We just prayed the entire week that somehow the Lord would just tell this girl that she needs to be baptized because she was unsure before......and well the Lord answers prayers. She called us up one night and told us that after reading she said a prayer to ask God if these things were true. She said she got such a clear answer that it was and that she felt good to be baptized. So, yesterday afternoon at 1:10 pm this miracle happened. We told her after that when we call back in 2 years after our missions we want to hear that she is still strong and she just looked at us and said, "Elders, I won't miss a single Sunday!" It was so awesome to hear that. Now her and her little baby girl can recieve the blessings that come from this amazing gospel. I'm so happy to have a part in the lives of these people. Most of all I'm so happy to know how much the Lord cares for all of us. MILAGRES ATE O FIM.

To celebrate all this me and my comp went to some pretty amazing places on the island. I'm loving the AÇORES!

Boa Semana todos,

Com Amor

Elder Thomas























4/4/2016

Hey everyone, 

I don't have a lot of time to write but just want to say I'm lovin this place!! It's a little hard going into a new area especially somewhere like this but its an amazing place and one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. Pictures don't do it justice. Our area called Praia is Half the Island so it's Ginormous basically. We get to ride bikes here. I never thought I'd have the chance to ride bikes on my mission. There is a lot of farmland and the ocean is right by our house. It's almost like a little beach hut that we're living in. It's sick! I love it! Me and my new comp Elder Haroldsen have been working extremely hard this week and are turning around the success of this area because for a few years now it has been really unsuccessful and close to shutting down. I truly know the Lord blesses those who work hard and put him first before everything else. My comp has yet to see a baptism so it was time to change that. So as we have been working and putting our trust in the Lord and learning from our experiences we have come to found a girl named Isabel who was taught in the past by others but has been dropped because of other reasons I don't have time to explain. We worked with her this entire week and after many difficult situations, and some very humbling moments, the Lord blessed us and gave us the things we needed so that Isabel would be able to be baptized. At 6:45 yesterday night, we were able to see the hand of the Lord more powerfully as Isabel entered into the waters of baptism. One thing up until now on the mission that I've seen and learned the most from, is that our will is truly nothing compared to the will of the Lord. It is and always will be above our own. I'm so happy to be here sharing the Lord's gospel and gaining my own testimony of these things every day.

Funny story, as my comp and Isabel went into the font it turned out that the font was draining accidently and the font only had about 2 feet of water. So after 7 or 8 times of dunking this poor girl and using every technique we could think of....she was finally fully emerged while sitting on the floor of the font and being gently pushed down barely clearing the line of water. It was another miracle for us !!;) haha. I love this gospel and the amazing things I learned at General Conference this weekend from inspired men of God. 

Have a great week everyone! The gospel is true and don't any of you punks forget that! 

Love, 

Elder Thomas 














No comments:

Post a Comment